Invisalign Teen: Aligners Designed with Your Teen in Mind
A straighter smile can not only make your teen feel more confident. Straighter teeth can also improve their oral health. At Kuhlberg Orthodontics, we know how important the emotional and physical well-being of your child is to you so Dr. Andrew Kuhlberg and his team are proud to offer Invisalign® Teen. Invisalign Teen features the same discreet materials and advanced technology utilized by traditional Invisalign treatment, but offers added features to suit the needs of adolescent patients. As a board-certified orthodontist, a distinction held by only 25 percent of doctors in the field, Dr. Kuhlberg has the training necessary to provide the best results. He can design a treatment plan at our Avon, CT, office which helps your teen achieve a healthy, radiant smile for a lifetime.
Is Your Teen a Good Candidate?
Although Dr. Kuhlberg will determine whether Invisalign is right for your teen during their initial consultation, candidates should generally:
- Have a treatable case: Invisalign is designed to treat a variety of misalignment issues, ranging from mild to complex. However, there are some orthodontic issues which may be more effectively treated with traditional braces.
- Be committed to treatment: One of Invisalign's benefits is the ability to remove the aligners when eating, brushing, and flossing. However, this means that your teen needs to be responsible for wearing their aligners. If they fail to wear their aligners at least 22 hours per day, this can affect the progress of their treatment.
Dr. Kuhlberg and the Invisalign team understand how important the safety and well-being of your teen are, and are proud to offer the same BPA-free aligners used in traditional treatment.
Invisalign aligners are removed for brushing and flossing, so your teen can maintain better oral hygiene compared to braces.
Invisalign Teen vs. Traditional Invisalign
Although Invisalign Teen uses the same materials and technique as Invisalign treatment, it offers additional advantages for adolescent patients, including:
These small spots on the aligners let you know whether your teen is wearing their aligners for the appropriate amount of time. As your teen wears his or her aligners more often, the indicators will fade from blue to clear.
If your child is still waiting for teeth to erupt, Invisalign Teen can be fabricated with eruption tabs to accommodate growing teeth. These tabs can also guide incoming teeth into their proper position, reducing the need for retreatment when your teen gets older.
How Does It Work?
Similar to Invisalign treatment, Invisalign Teen trays are worn at least 22 hours each day and should only be removed for eating and cleaning their teeth. Approximately every two weeks, your teen will transition into a new set of trays until they achieve their desired results. Depending on the severity of their case, most teens are required to wear the aligners for six to 15 months.
Convenient, Effective Treatment for Busy Teens
Adolescence can be a difficult time for your child's confidence. If your teen has a crooked, gapped, or misaligned smile, orthodontic treatment is typically more attractive when they see how discreet the aligners are. In addition to the cosmetic benefits of Invisalign, teens can continue to enjoy:
- More active lifestyle: Braces can become damaged and also cut the lips or inside of the cheeks. In contrast, teens can continue to safely participate in sports while wearing their aligners.
- Improved oral hygiene: According to the National Institutes of Health, 59 percent of teenagers suffer from dental caries. With Invisalign, your teen can enjoy improved oral health and a lower risk of tooth decay.
- Fewer office visits: Although your teen will visit our office periodically for progress check-ups, the visits are less frequent than those required by traditional braces. Additionally, clear aligners are less susceptible to breakage, meaning your teen should not need to schedule emergency visits to the dentist during classes or extracurricular activities.
Teens are more likely to misplace aligners, so Invisalign Teen also features complementary aligners in case some become lost throughout treatment.
Schedule a Consultation
Invisalign treatment can help your child establish lifelong oral health and uplift their self-confidence. Schedule an appointment by contacting us online or calling Kuhlberg Orthodontics at (860) 673-5081.
“Very friendly warm and compassionate. They educated my son on how to care for his braces, what foods to avoid, how to clean and most of all, they are there even during any emergency including weekends. I highly recommend this Orthodontic practice to anyone who want a personal, friendly one on one relationship with their doctor.” Thu M.